Sunday 14 July 2013

Chili sin carne

Originally, a meat dish, chili con carne lends itself well to vegetarianisation. It is often made simply with more beans, but I like the flavour and texture combination I get with Quorn mince. I also use the same combination of spices when I make my frijoles refritos for stuffing in tacos. However, today I had mince in the freezer, so I opted for the grown up nacho-style chili option; with the hope that this food of a hot nation, might function to cool us both down during this heat wave.

What you will need
250g vege mince (any brand will do)
1 tin of kidney beans
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
1 tea spoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of chilli powder

2-3 green chillies
½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground cloves

1 onion
2-3 cloves garlic
2 ripe avocados
1 lemon
Fresh coriander

Sour cream and chives
6 Corn tacos

Cheddar optional

Chop the onion and fry off with the garlic until softened and browned. Add all the spices and cook these off for just a minute before adding the mince, chopped green chillies, tinned tomatoes, kidney beans and tomato puree. Add the same amount of water as the tin of tomatoes and season. Cook this for approximately 20 minutes on a medium heat to reduce and cook through the mince.

I add half a teaspoon of this – which really gives this chilli a kick. This is the hottest stuff I have come across and I would recommend keeping a jar in the fridge if you like it hot, as I do. Otherwise, add extra dried or fresh chillis for more heat.

 




Whilst the chilli is cooking, I extracted the flesh of two avocados and blended with the juice of half a lemon, seasoned and stirred through some fresh coriander.

Just before serving, place the corn tacos in the oven to heat through until they have crisped up. This takes about 10 minutes. See the instructions on the packet.

Haphazardly break each of the tacos into four large-ish pieces. Place these on the plate and pile the chilli on top. Serve with the guacamole and sour cream with chives (I think I have previously mentioned we are growing these). Cheddar is optional, but Gipsy Spread must always have cheddar with his chilli.




Get stuck in with your fork and fingers to bring on the chili sweats!


No comments:

Post a Comment