Tuesday 30 July 2013

Refried beans

My beans don't have a lot of oil in them and they are also not mulch, but rather delightfully mushy and textured. I make these refried beans for our taco dinner nights, which is always a deliciously messy affair.

What you will need
2 tins of kidney beans
1 tablespoon of tomato puree
1 tea spoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of chilli powder
2-3 green chillies
½ teaspoon of ground cloves


Add the two drained tins of kidney beans to a pan with a tea spoon of oil. Add all the spices and cook for a minute until fragrent. Add half a cup of water, some salt, the tomato puree and chopped green chillies to the pan. If you don't have fresh green chillis, dried chilli flakes will suffice. Leave the beans on a mediumg heat to reduce. This should take between 10-15 minutes.

I don't blitz mine in the blender as I mentioned above. I simply, crush mine with a potato masher to provide a variety of textures. You can blitz yours if you so wish.


 
I served my refried beans tonight in tacos and topped with grated cheddar, lettuce and salsa and guacamole. It is also a great bean and cheese enchilada filling and great with grilled halloumi inside fajitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment