Sunday 8 September 2013

Marinated beetroot, goats cheese and walnut salad

Gipsy Spread's birthday is coming up. The penultimate one before middle age. That's 40 now, right? So, as we are away (have I already mentioned the South of france?) on the actual day, we had a couple of people over for dinner this weekend.

I know that I have definitely mentioned my bag full of organic vegetables which included fresh beetroot. I wanted to use these in the meal, so decided on a beetroot and goats cheese starter. I wanted to cure/cook the raw beetroot in wine vinegar.

What you will need
4 table spoon olive oil
2 table spoon red wine vinegar
1/2 tea spoon sugar
1/2 tea spoon of chilli flakes
1 tea spoon thyme
2 large raw beetroot
1 180g log of goats cheese quartered (or four individual rounds)
A handful of walnuts

Peel and very thinly slice the beetroot, either by hand or with a mandolin, or food processor attachment. I did mine manually as I was fearful or turning my magimix bowl pink! 

Mix together the oil, sugar, vinegar, chilli and thyme and pour over the beetroot. Leave to marinade for as long as possible, ideally overnight. However a minimum of an hour should also suffice.


Put the goats cheese on some grease proof paper and place under the grill for 2-3 minutes until starting to melt and brown.

Seperately, crush the walnut slightly.
 
Serve the beetroot with the grilled round of goats cheese on top and a sprinkling of the walnuts. Drizzle over any of the remaining marinade and grind over plenty of fresh pepper.



I served this with some fresh chive soda bread on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment